View Treaty - E102020
Agreement Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the Republic of France Relating to the Development of Regional Cooperation Between the Canadian Atlantic Provinces and the French Territorial Collectivity of St. Pierre and Miquelon
E102020 - CTS 1994 No. 33
The Government of Canada and the Government of the Republic of France, hereinafter referred to as the Parties,
Determined to develop neighbourly relations between the Canadian Atlantic Province and the French territorial collectivity of St. Pierre and Miquelon to take into account the common interests of their people,
Desiring, to that end, to strengthen the existing ties between them and to develop diversified regional cooperation between those Provinces and the territorial collectivity of St. Pierre and Miquelon,
Bearing in mind the invitation extended by the federal Government of Canada to the Canadian Atlantic Provinces to contribute to this cooperation in areas within their jurisdiction,
Have agreed as follows:
The Parties shall take all appropriate measures, within the limits of their respective jurisdictions, to organize and expand cooperation between them in the areas determined by this Agreement.
The issues relating to fisheries relations between Canada and France shall be the subject of a Procès-Verbal entered into pursuant to the Agreement of March 27, 1972.
- The Parties shall collaborate to preserve and develop the natural environment. In particular, they shall study measures that will promote protection of plant and animal life.
- The Parties agree to collaborate in studying the marine environment and its future prospects, developing scientific cooperation in this field and examining possible joint activities in the field of aquaculture.
The Parties shall promote the development of joint tourism initiatives in the Canadian Atlantic Provinces and in St. Pierre and Miquelon, in particular by organizing joint tours and distributing information through their respective tourism promotion agencies.
Desiring to facilitate the movement of persons and goods, the Parties shall undertake to seek methods that will improve sea and air links between Canada and St. Pierre and Miquelon.
The Parties shall promote the development of trade between the Canadian Atlantic Provinces and St. Pierre and Miquelon. To that end, they shall take such measures as will result in better distribution of information relating to economic activities and operators, in accordance with their respective legislation concerning public access to this information.
The Parties shall develop their cooperation in the area of law enforcement, in particular to suppress illicit traffic.
The Parties shall encourage the development of cultural relations between the Canadian Atlantic Provinces and St. Pierre and Miquelon, in particular in the area of the distribution cultural products and crafts.
The Parties shall promote the development of cooperation in the area of communications particularly as regards radio and television broadcasting.
The Parties shall encourage the development of sports and cooperation in that field.
Parties shall encourage the development of their cooperation in the area of training and the exchange of teaching and administrative personnel as well as in the area of pedagogical animation and research. They shall promote in particular exchanges between institutions in the Canadian Atlantic Provinces with an interest in such activities and the Institut de Langue Française de Saint-Pierre et Miquelon (Franco-Forum).
The Parties shall encourage cooperation in the medical, hospital and sanitary fields particularly in the event of medical evacuations.
The Parties shall seek to develop their cooperation in the area of agriculture, in particular by creating the conditions necessary for the reactivation of the quarantine located in Miquelon.
- The Parties shall create a Joint Cooperation Commission of which they shall appoint the members, according to their own procedures.
- The Commission shall oversee the implementation of this Agreement. It shall study the means of cooperation between the Parties, projects designed to strengthen that cooperation and the appropriate methods of implementing it. It shall establish working groups bringing together all partners with an interest in the fields specifically contemplated by this Agreement. Issues relating to fisheries shall be examined by the Advisory Committee created by Article II of the Procès-Verbal referred to in Article 2 of this Agreement.
- The Joint Commission shall meet once a year, alternately in the Canadian Atlantic Provinces and in St. Pierre and Miquelon.
- The Party who hosts the meeting shall chair it.
The Joint Commission may propose changes to this Agreement to the Parties, in particular for the purpose of expanding their cooperation to other fields. These changes shall be the subject of an agreement between the Parties.
- This Agreement shall enter into force on the date it is signed.
- Each Party may at any time denounce this Agreement by giving a written notice to that effect. Denunciation shall take effect one hundred eighty days after the date on which the other Party is notified thereof.
DONE in two copies at Paris on this 2nd day of December 1994, in the English and French languages, each version being equally authentic.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF FRANCE
- Date Modified: